- I have done a cover for the Hero Initiative: 100 Hulk Covers. The Hero Initiative is a charity set up to help veteran creators (and their families) who need financial support and may have been largely forgotten by the industry they helped to forge; people who were creating comics long before things like royalties and reprint fees became the norm, and whose work may no longer be in vogue, or who simply can't draw anymore. My cover, and 99 others, are being auctioned to raise money for this worthy cause.
- Conventions I will be attending this year:
Bristol International Comic Expo
Sunday only - May 11th 2008.
Zombie Con in Walsall
6th -7th September 2008.
F.A.C.T.S in Gent, Belgium
11th -12th October 2008. et/index.ht
- Working on new Spiderman strips for Eaglemoss, to be published in a weekly part works in France only. Scripts are written by Glenn Dakin and are retro in feel; I'm desperately trying to channel Steve Ditko and John Romita Snr- big fun! I could draw Spidey for the rest of my life and I'd be happy.
- Forgot to mention that I drew a 10 page story for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Titan), with inks and colours being provided by Lee Bradley, can't remember which issue, but thanks to Steve Murphy at Mirage for his kind comments on his Turtles blog  .
- Also I am co drawing How to Draw Transformers for the Transformers Mag (also Titan) every month, my partner in crime on that one is also the incomparable Lee Bradley.
- Did this pin-up for my amigo Christian Rodriguez for his comic Serpent Wars, colours by Clonerh!
- Here's the advert for the Dutch Con - Stripbeurs Comic Show I'm attending on March 1st & 2nd... seems I've made the big time!
- The April issue of the Judge Dredd Megazine has an extensive interview with me and also features this cover, the first bit of fully painted artwork I've done in a long time... took me a while to remember how to shove paint round a page but I'm pretty happy with the results. There's also a bit of adobe-pokery thrown in, courtesy of my long time collaborator James Hodgkins - thanks James.
I'm attending the Stripbeurs
Comic Show in Rijswijk, Holland on the 1st and 2nd
of March 2008. I'll have a table and will be signing, sketching
and flogging the art!
out- the first issue of
( DC Comics) by Garth Ennis and myself, this is an
untold tale from Tommy Monaghan's early career that Garth and I
had originally planned to appear in the regular series. Two issues,
each weighing in at a hefty 44 pages, this one's got action, thrills,
laughs and continues the story of how Tommy and Superman met and
doing a number of appearances to promote this book. Birmingham International
Comic Show- October 13th and 14th, I'll have a table and will be
signing, sketching and flogging original art. www.thecomicsshow.co.uk
Comic Festival- November 2nd, 3rd and 4th, much the same as above,
only in La Belle France! www.lillecomicsfestival.com
City Con- November 16th, 17th and 18th, much the same as above,
only with Guiness! www.irishcomicshop.com
There is a small touring exhibition by past and present
Strip Search comic artists that I have been involved
in tutoring. Some of my own work is also on show. The tour is on
between Jan - March. Please check it out if you can. Press
added some new additions to the
Private Commissions section of my website. You will
find a sketch card I did of Sebula for the actor who voiced
him on Star Wars.
have some Lord
of the Rings sketch cards from the Masterpieces and Evolution
sets for sale. The Masterpieces cards are £100 each plus P&P and
the Evolution cards are £80 each plus P&P. The Gollum card has been
sold. If you are interested, go to the Buy
section to get details of how to contact and buy
be at the Midlands Comics Collective's launch party for their
new book Mc2
on November 8th at the Custard
Factory in Birmingham. Start time will be 6.30pm.
Come along and buy this fab 96 page anthology of the Midland's hottest
new creators (and Hunt Emerson and myself ), see the original art
from the book in the flesh (pulp?) and get their signatures before
they all become too famous to talk to ordinary mortals!
are my appearances for the rest of the year:
Expo at Excel, the Royal Victoria Dock, London, on
the 28 and 29th October.
at the G Mex in Manchester, on the 18th and 19th
Show at the NEC in Birmingham, on the 25th and
Show, Birmingham's first comic show in over 10 years,
at the Custard Factory, on the 9th and 10th December.
will be attending the Samler
Borsen International Movie and Comic Collectors
Fair in Germany on 1st October.
published by Ilex
Press Ltd is the Computer
Cartoon Kit which provides a basic resource for
creating comic strips using clip art and a computer. I have contributed
the superhero artwork to the book and CD.
attending the San
Diego Comic Con this July and can be found at the
Owl Comix table most of the time. I'll have original
art, prints and sketches for sale. Will also be doing some time
at the Desperado
table (ask them for times). Might even show up at the DC
Comics booth to preview my new comic for them! Hope to see you
a list of my upcoming convention appearances:
-14th May: the NewStar Con, Rijswijk, Holland. Contact: www.newstarcon.com
June: the NewStar Con, Hamburg, Germany. Contact: www.newstarcon.com
June: the NewStar Con, Frankfurt, Germany. Contact: www.newstarcon.com
July: the NewStar Con, Paris, France. Contact: www.newstarcon.com
completed another private commision
- an illustration of Sebula
from Star Wars.
Following on from the International success of StripSearch
1& 2, Hi8us
Midlands Ltd are launching Stripsearchers,
a West Midlands (UK) wide talent-search for gifted, amateur comic
The 15 finalists will work alongside such notable artists as; John
Mccrea (Batman, Spiderman, The Hulk), Hunt
Emerson (Firkin the Cat, The Beano and City Mouth)
Hodgkins (DC's Inker), who will support and encourage
the development and skills of the final 15.
As part of the scheme they will get their work published, VIP passes
to UK's largest Comic's Convention and will also have their work
reviewed by great comic artists and top executives from DC, Marvel,
The Beano and 2000AD.
The deadline for submissions is: Wednesday 22nd Feb 2006.
The scheme is open to anyone from the West Midlands, England aged
16+. We are especially keen to receive submissions from women. If
you would like further information or images please email Jemima
Cattel Jemima Cattel on email@example.com or tel
0121 693 0242.
are some cards from the Lord
of the Rings sketch cards I did recently for Topps.
The set is due out Feb this year. I'll have a very few pre-drawn
ones for sale when the set is released.
at Manchester GMEX, on the 11th and 12th of February...
lots of other interesting folks going to be there including actors
from Star Wars and Star Trek. Drop by for a chat and a sketch!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
LORD of the RINGS