The name Aldbrough has had many variations of spelling over the years. The suffix ‘brough’ or ‘burg’ is of Saxon-Norman origins and means castle or entrenchment, and the history of the area can be traced back to Roman times, and there is mention of Aldbrough in the Domesday Book 1086.
Farming was particularly important in the area during the 18th and 19th centuries, this being a particularly prosperous time, encouraging the growth of smaller agricultural industries. This commercial self-sufficiency is still evident throughout the village today by the buildings which were once used as shops and craftsmen’s premises. The majority of older buildings in the village date from 1840-1880, and although constructed in the Victorian period, are of Georgian-style architecture, this being the time when brick and pantiles became generally available replacing more rustic materials. A walk round the village shows many differing examples of brick sizes and styles, and according to one veteran of the village there was actually a brickworks in Aldbrough.
Since the first half of the twentieth century, gradual housing development has occurred, however the original character of the village remains very much in tact.
In recent years Aldbrough Primary School has seen a rise in the number of pupils. Record books show that there has been a school in the village since1663, the present school building dates from 1862 and was built from the proceeds of the Towry Trust.
The Towry Trust was set up in 1663 by Robert Towrie of Riccall in the Parish of Aldbrough. He had farms and land in Aldbrough, Ringborough and East Newton, the income from which was to be used for the poor of Aldbrough forever!