|There is much we do not know about Wixford parish,including it's church of Saint Milburga: for example, Domesday Book does not mention a priest here but the church's dedication to a Saxon saint suggests the presence of a church before the Conquest: it was probably a chapelry of Salford Priors. The manor of Wixford in mediaeval times belonged to Evesham Abbey, which had obtained it before the Conquest. After several changes in the lordship, it eventually came to the Throckmortons of Coughton and was incorporated in their manor of Oversley; this obtained until 1919, when the estate was sold and manorial rights ceased.|
Wixford, as the name implies, was entered across the River Arrow by a ford but we know that in 1566 a bridge existed, although its construction date we do not know
The Roman Icknield Street from Bidford-on-Avon continued through Wixford to Alcester and Studley, so the village had a good communication with the rest of the 'area. Of special interest is the magnificient early 15th century brass in the church to Thomas de Crowe who held Moor Hall in Wixford and was county sheriff, justice of the peace, member of Parlia-ment and high in the service of the Earls of Warwicke
On the outside masonry of the Crowe tomb chapel may be distinguished several scratched sundials resembling the game of Nine Men's Morris.
Wixford has long been an angling centre and the name of one of the village inns, 'The Fish' , bears witness to that. The Birmingham Anglers hold the fishing rights today. A new dual-carriageway, int~nded to by-pass Norton near Evesham, has some-what altered the Wixford landscape but a stroll through the village and up Icknield Street to the church is still worthwhile.
Winter 1995 Index