|Dugdale tell us that a hermitage existed
on Grove Hill in Haselor parish and was given by Raif Boteler of Overstey to Alcester
Abbey, c.1154. Dugdale mentions 'Caldwell', a spring. In more recent times, the site
indicated above was called 'Lower and Upper Cordwell' and is undoubtedly the area of the
hermitage. In a manor boundary roll of 1692, the site is stated to be a boundary marker
for the manor of Upton/Haselor. Today the ground slopes sharply into Exhall parish to the
south, a mass of bushes and brambles. There is no sign of a spring or a hermitage
structure , which is hardly to be expected.
In the Middle Ages this would have been a very secluded place but supplying the main necessity - water.
Autumn 1995 Index