This was founded in about 1940 by Arthur Keyte (Hairdresser) and a group of friends who mainly went to dances together and needed somewhere to go at night, during the war.
"We were able to rent a room at the back of the Turks Head Public House, with the stipulation that anyone younger than 18 must enter by the back entrance in Gas House Lane. We started by decorating the room, then ran Whist Drives in the Church House and dances in the Town Hall, to get the money to pay for furniture, table tennis table, dartboard, billiard table, radiogram (which we used for all the dances) and a piano.
We held parties, played games, danced, went rambling, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. When we got more money than we needed we gave it to charity.
The club closed in about 1943 when most of us got called up for the armed forces".
Autumn 1994 Index