We have already featured the Brandishes and the Purtons, both medical families but we cannot leave medical provision without a mention of the Adcocks. For a hundred years they provided a pharmaceutical provision for Alcester and the surrounding area from their shop in the High Street. Isaac Dickson Adcock started up in Swan Street in 1872 but soon moved round the corner where he and his son established themselves. In 1950 Herbert Dickson Adcock, the son, died, having kept the business going through the two world wars: he was one of the new breed of pharmacist, being qualified by examinations. William James Adcock (Jim) was his nephew and continued the business until the 1970s, when Savory & Moore took over. The family became prominent citizens in Alcester, supporting all worthwhile objects. As chemists, they were particularly valued by the local farming community, as they specialised in animal complaints.
Autumn 1994 Index