Mr.Alan Godfrey of Alcester has brought to our attention another interesting facet about Alcester's postage, this time from an article in the 'Strand Magazine' in 1897 and reprinted by Mr.Richard Blake in 'The Post Office Through Victorian Eyes' .Mr.Blake has kindly given permission for 'Local Past' to use it.
The accornpanying envelope (No.14) looks hopeless at first glance. It is a fair sample of the kind of thing which is specially invented to try the patience of the splendid staff of officials at the G.P.O.
Held horizontally, on a level with the eyes, it reads
the address :
' Miss B. M. Holland, Albion House, AIcester, Warwickshire.'
Albion House was in the High Street: not so-called today,for the site became the International Stores and is now Lloyds ,Chemists The Hollands were drapers cum tailors.
Summer 1993 Index