|This is part of the ecclesiastical parish
of Coughton but is separate topographically and civilly. Cane Brook is the dividing line.
From before the conquest until 15th C, the manor of Sambourne belonged to Evesham Abbey, Since when it came to the Throckmortons of Coughton. An interesting feature of this manor was that one of its customs was that of 'Borough English', whereby the inheritance of an estate came to the youngest son not the eldest.
Sambourne had its own mill, probably on the Arrow. it also possessed, until the reformation, a chapel, served by the monks of Studley. The present chapel of ease was built in 1892 and is served by Coughton Church. one of the places to which needle making spread from Studley where it found a home in the 17th century, was Sambourne but it remained a cottage industry there.
Autumn 1991 Index
© Alcester & District Local History Society 1991