The Editor Reports
A School Roll of honour
A cardboard Roll of Honour for 1914 has come to light for Arrow School. It measures about 18" by 12". The pictures of a soldier, a sea-man and an airman are printed in colour: the lower half is filled with the written names of 51 men, headed 'ARROW SCHOOL 1914'. This is presumably a list of former scholars who had joined the forces in the Great War.
Looking at the Society's files, 26 of the 51 lived in Arrow parish and probably 7 in Oversley parish. The other 18 most likely came from Alcester, Wixford and Weethley. 9 of the men have their names recorded on local war memorials, seven on Arrow's and two on Alcester's.
A Set of Tiles
We suggested in our 'ASPECTS OF THE HISTORY OF ARROW' that while Ragley Hall had always been the site of the manor house of Ragley Manor, we did not know for certain the site of the manor house of the manor of Arrow. We did, however, suggest the area round Arrow Court (just behind the parish church) as a likely venue.! We further suggested that an excavation would probably settle the Question one way or another. Since then, we have been told that a few years ago workmen dug a trench in connection with the saw mill which exists there and uncovered a tile floor This suggests that some earlier building stood on the site. Unfortunately, no opportunity was given for an examination of the tiles in order to assess their age. However the likelihood of this being the site of the mediaeval manor house of Arrow seems to have gone a step forward.
Summer 1990 Index
© Alcester & District Local History Society 1991