| The Museum was opened on 29 April 2000, by Councillor Allan Higgs, chair of South Gloucestershire Council.
The Museum is open on Wednesdays from 1.00pm to 4.00pm, and on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays from 2.00pm to 5.00pm. Please note that the Museum is closed for the whole of December
From the Museum's first exhibition, the opening displays have featured some of Frenchay's more famous residents, and include:
- Francis Fox Tuckett, who was an early Alpine explorer, and his sister Elizabeth, who was an author and artist. Her portrait by William Holman Hunt, the famous Pre-Raphaelite artist, is on display.
- Also featured are Frederick Tuckett and the early settlement of New Zealand; J S Fry, the chocolate manufacturer; and the Victorian social reformer F D Maurice, who founded two colleges in London. Alan Freke will be giving a talk on F D Maurice on 10 November 2005 at 7-30pm at the Friends Meeting House. This will include the research gathered by Alan during a recent visit to the London landmarks associated with Maurice.
- There is a special display about the Bristol Riots of 1831. Two Frenchay men were Special Constables during the troubles, and their accounts of the riots, together with part of one's uniform, posters, a contemporary sabre and a lithographic stone depicting the Dragoons clearing Queen Square, are on show.
- Another family featured are the Elliotts, one of whom wrote a history of the area in 1936, and whose daughters were nurses during the First World War. The nursing uniform of one, together with her medals, are on display.
- BRISTOL PORCELAIN Thanks to the generosity of the late H C Fox, the Museum now has some fine examples of this rare early English porcelain.
- EIGHTY YEARS OF HEALING AT FRENCHAY HOSPITAL What have a gaggle of geese, Neville Chamberlain, Frank Sinatra and Americans wounded at D-Day have in common? All have been found on the site of Frenchay Hospital. Our exhibition traces the history of the site from its 18th century origins, through its beginnings as a hospital in 1920, up to the present day, with a wealth of pictures, uniforms, hospital equipment and archives.
- There are two new exhibits: one on Francis Fox Tuckett's collection of recently restored Egyptian antiquities; the other on some of the village's cottages and the holy well. Also, our special Children's display case now contains a selection of toys from several countries and times, including at least one which was used by children in Frenchay in the 1850s. Beneath the display case is a basket of similar toys for a "hands on" treat. The toys are from a collection in the care of Carol Thorne
- One room at the Museum is available to other local organisations who want to show their work. The latest visiting display is by CLIC 30th Anniversary, and it runs until the end of November 2006. CLIC was set up in 1976 through the illness of Frenchay residents Bob and Judy Woodword's son Robert from leukaemia. Although Robert junior died in 1977, the work of helping families affected by childhood cancers went on We have pictures on a special page.
- There is a display about Frenchay Flock Mill. The remains of this mill were recently demolished and houses built on the site. An A J.J Armfield "River Patent" TURBINE was unearthed by the builders, and is now at the museum.
- Also available at the museum are RECORDS which those researching family history might find useful and interesting.
We have a painting by Professor Golla, the famous early neurologist, but are unable to identify its subject. Can you solve the mystery?
- PAST EXHIBITS
- SCHOOL Carole Thorne, headmistress of Frenchay School assembled records and artefacts from the school and from her own collection to create a fascinating exhibit recalling bygone classrooms.
- CRICKET Did you know that W G Grace was Captain of Frenchay Village cricket team in 1870, or that the team beat the MCC in 1876? Items about the village club, our neighbouring Hambrook club and more were revealed in this display assembled by our archivist, Ray Bulmer