The Green Howards date from November 1688 when Colonel Francis Luttrell raised a Regiment at Dunster Castle, Somerset, for service under William of Orange.
The Regiment became known as the Green Howards in 1744 at the time of the Wars of Austrian Succession. The "Green" relates to the green facing on uniforms whilst Howard is the name of the Regimental Colonel, Charles Howard, second son of the 3rd Earl of Carlisle. The nickname persisted until 1920 when it was finally adopted as the official name.
The Regiment became the 19th (First Yorkshire North Riding Regiment) of Foot in 1782 and in 1873 Richmond became its home town.
The Green Howard Museum is located next to the church in the Market Square.
The Victoria Cross
"A soldier can bring no greater honour to himself or to his Regiment than the Victoria Cross, the supreme decoration for outstanding gallantry in the face of the enemy."
Green Howard Role of Honour:
18 Victoria Crosses, VCs were awarded to men of the Regiment between 1855 and 1945.
Private Samuel Evans Sevastopol April 1855 Corporate William Lyons Sevastopol June 1855 Sergeant Albert Atkinson Paardeberg Feb 1900 Corporate William Anderson Neuve Chapelle March 1915 Major Stewart Walter Loudoun Shand Fricourt July 1916 Second Lieutenant Donald Simpson Bell Horeshoe Trench July 1916 Private William Short Munster Alley August 1916 Captain Archie Cecil Thomas White MC Stuff Redoubt October 1916 Captain David Philip Hirsch Wancourt April 1917 Private Tom Dresser Roeux May 1917 Corporal William Clamp Poelcapelle October 1917 Second Lieutenant Ernest Frederick Beal St Leger March 1918 Lieutenant Colonel Oliver Cyril Spencer Watson DSO Rossignol Wood March 1918 Private Henry Tandy DCM MM Marcoing Sept 1918 Sergeant William McNally MM Piave Oct 1918 Lieutenant Colonel Derek Anthony Seagrim Mareth March 1943 Company Sergeant Major Stanley Elton Hollis D-Day June 1944 Lieutenant William Basil Weston Meiktila March 1945 The Crimea
British troops breaking into the Redan Fortress, Sebastopol
Return to Home Page