is the second largest town in the
Stroud District of
Gloucestershire; and is
located at the South-West edge of the
It is not just an industrial centre
but a town of charm and
tradition, surrounded by beautiful
Dursley had Borough status from 1471 until 1883.
The Market House, with its
statue of Queen Anne,
is dated 1738. The upper part
of the building is
supported by pillars and has a bell turret.
Church of St. James the Great dates from the 13th century.
It is, however, largely of 14th and 15th century construction.
The church originally had a spire but this collapsed in January 1699
during a bell-ringing session. There were casualties.
Following that disaster, an imposing 'Gothic Survival'
was built by Thomas Sumsion of Colerne in the years 1708 - 09.
underwent further 'restoration' in the 19th century.
The Dursley Tabernacle
United Reform Church was built in 1808.
An early painting
shows the Tabernacle and, at far left, a crenellated gatehouse
that belonged to
This castle was built by Roger de Berkeley in 1153
using tufa stone from the Chestal quarry.
It was an enlargement of his earlier stronghold on the site
which had been constructed in the late 11th Century.
All traces of the moated castle
and the gatehouse have disappeared.
In the early 19th Century, Edwin Budding, from Dursley, invented
the lawnmower. Later, Mikael Pedersen, who was a Danish engineer,
devised the safety bicycle while living in the town.
Dursley is the home of the engineering firm
The Cotswold Way, for walkers,
follows the edge of the Cotswold escarpment
and passes through the centre of Dursley.
The local golf course
is on Stinchcombe Hill.
Fine views of the Severn Vale can
be enjoyed from this vantage point.
Back in the centre of Dursley, the view along
Castle Street shows the
part of the Swimming Pool building; and, as a backdrop,
the wooded flanks of Stinchcombe Hill.
The Dursley Pool
is a very popular local facility.
Viewed from Castle Street,
the Methodist Chapel and
St. James' Church
appear as prominent features of the townscape.
The red brick college building has now been demolished.
The youth club and old fire tower
were demolished to make way for Sainsbury's supermarket.
The historic Weaver's House appears
adjacent to the new Heritage Centre.
A wide variety of architectural styles
can be seen in the town.
The former Post Office building
is in Parsonage Street.
The splendid new surgery is in May Lane.
The "Old Spot Inn",
situated in Hill Road,
is one of the many good public houses in Dursley.
The "Old Bell" hotel is in Long Street.
Kingshill House was originally a
but is now an Arts Centre.
A new fire station has been built at Kingshill.
Rednock School has grand new buildings.
Parish Church of 'St. James the Great'
here for a full montage presentation.
2. Historical Images of Dursley
Dursley as seen from the Hermitage Wood area in 1850
Dursley town centre in 1905
The changing face of the Market Place area over the years:
The Priory, Long Street
The 'Garden Suburb' in Kingshill Road
3. Contemporary Images of Dursley
The 'Wilkes' site following demolition of the shop
During the October 1998 demolition, discoveries included
a decorative mosaic
The former 'Wilkes' site today
The Crescent in Parsonage Street
Dursley's Principal Streets and Features
Parsonage Street - views 1,
Long Street - views 4,
9 and 10;
Silver Street - view 11;
Castle Street - views 12
and Bull Pitch - view 14.
Dursley from the roof of the
Church tower ... views
"Lister Petter" factory;
"Drake House" offices; and
Millennium Dawn: 1 and
4. The Future
( ( ( ( ) ) ) )
To reach DURSLEY by Car > > >
Exit Southbound M5 at Junction 13 or
* * * * *
Exit Northbound M5 at Junction 14 or
* * * * *
Exit M4 at Junction 17;
take A429 and B4014 to Tetbury;
then A4135 to Dursley
* * * * *
To reach DURSLEY by Train > > >
Disembark at the Cam/Dursley station on the
Gloucester/Bristol main line
* * * * *
for Uley interactive map.
National Map Link
Home Page last revised: January 22nd, 2009.